About Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)
Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) is an important security tool in keeping your account safer than simply
using a password. As the name suggests, it adds a second step to the login process, making it difficult for someone to login to your account, even if they know your password.
How does it work?
Once you set up Two-Factor Authentication (2FA), any attempt to log into your account will
require a special authorization code, provided by an authenticator app, which is used to finish the login process.
Why use Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)?
Account security is important for everyone, and nobody
wants their account being used without their permission. Two-Factor
Authentication (2FA) adds an extra layer of security, making it considerably more difficult to breach an account. The idea behind Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) is to use something you know (your password) and something you have (your mobile device). Authenticator app turns your mobile device into the “something you have” and with this authentication method, your account is more secure.
Setting up Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) on your mobile device
In order to set up Two-Factor Authentication (2FA), you'll need to download and install an authenticator app such as Google Authenticator, Authy, or Duo on your mobile device. In our testing, we used the Google Authenticator app.
1. Install the authenticator app on your mobile device.
Google Authenticator for iOS - download link
Google Authenticator for Android - download link
2. Log in to SchoolMind and in the upper right-hand corner, click on your profile photo and select Accounts.
3. Click on your name initials, and select Security.
4. Under the Two-Factor Authentication section, click Enable.
5. Open the authenticator app on your mobile device and scan the barcode shown on the screen.
Once you scan the barcode, authenticator app will add the account for your SchoolMind ID.
6. Now enter the six-digit code from the authenticator app into the field below in SchoolMind, and click Enable.
Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) is not enabled for your account. From now on, each time you try to log in, you will be prompted to enter the six-digit code from your authenticator app.
Unable to scan the barcode?
If for any reason, you are unable to scan the barcode, you can use the code provided below the barcode image to finish the setup.
Here's how to do that:
1. In the Google Authenticator app, when adding an account, select Enter a provided key option.
2. In the Two-Factor Authentication page, find the code shown below the barcode image.
3. Enter the account name (SchoolMind), enter the code, select the Time based option, and click the Add button.
4. The account is now added and you can enter the code from authenticator app into SchoolMind and finish the setup process.
5. Enter the code into the field below and click the Enable button.
Two-Factor Authentication is not enabled for your account. From now on, each time you try to log in, you will be prompted to enter the six-digit code from your authenticator app.
Tip: While logging in to SchoolMind, if you check "Don't ask me again on this device", you won't be prompted to use enter Two-Factor Authentication code for 30 days for that device. The same applies if you are using Security Key during login.
Setting up Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) on your PC
Don't have a mobile device such as a smartphone or a tablet? That's not a problem. You can generate a one-time code using your PC. Install Authy app for Chrome browser and use it to generate a one-time code and log in to your SchoolMind account.
Authy is a Chrome app which is installed as an extension in Chrome browser and runs like a desktop app. It is operating system independent, so as long as you have Chrome browser installed, it doesn't matter if your PC is running Windows, MacOS, or Linux.
Setting up Authy on your PC
1. Open the Chrome browser. If you don't have Chrome browser installed, you can download and install it using this link.
2. Install Authy Chrome extension using this link and click Add to Chrome button.
3. Click on Add App button.
4. Once the Authy app is installed, a new page in Chrome will open and you can access the Authy from there.
5. Once you open Authy app, you'll be prompted to set it up on your PC.
6. You'll need to enter your phone number and email address in order to obtain a verification code form Authy and continue with the setup.
7. We've chosen the SMS verification in this example, but you can use the call option as well. The verification text message should look as shown below, and there you can find the verification code. Enter the verification code in Authy in order to proceed with the setup.
8. Once the Authy app is ready, click on the settings icon as shown in the image below to configure Authy.
9. Set your Master password and click on Add Authenticator Account.
10. Go to SchoolMind, and from the Two-Factor Authentication page copy the code as shown in the image below. You'll need to enter this code to Authy app in order to finish the setup process.
11. Enter the code in the field below and click Add Account button.
12. Lastly, select the Token length to be 6-digit, enter the account name (SchoolMind), select the logo, and click Done.
13. If everything is correct, the account is created. Click Accept to continue.
14. Close the Authy configuration page.
15. Open the Authy app and click on the account you've just created.
16. You'll see a one-time code generated. Click on the Copy button.
17. Go to SchoolMind and enter/Paste the code in the field below and click Enable button.
18. Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled for your account.
Important note: After you enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) for your account, DO NOT delete the authenticator app from your device. If you delete the app from your device, or you remove the account within the authenticator app, you will be locked out and won't be able to log in.
However, if this happens, contact your administrator and ask him to remove 2FA from your account so you can set it up again.